Whether caused by a runaway shopping cart, a poorly aimed baseball, or backing into a pole, small car dents may not seem like a big deal. However, they detract from your car’s appearance and lower its value.
If you’re planning to use your vehicle as collateral for a title loan, fix dents and repair scratches first to boost car value and maximize your loan amount. Here are seven DIY methods to remove car dents.
- Plunger – effective on small- to medium-sized dents: Wet the dent and an ordinary cup plunger to help create a tight seal. Then push and pull on the plunger until the dent pops out. If nothing happens after five or six pulls, try another method.
- Hair dryer and compressed air – effective on small- to medium-sized dents: Heat the dent with a hair dryer to expand it. When the car is hot to the touch, spray the dent with a can of compressed air. The sudden cold should pop out the dent.
- Dry ice – effective on shallow dents: Wear protective gloves and hold a piece of dry ice against the dent to rapidly cool it. Rub the dry ice around until you hear the dent pop back into place. You can also try heating the dent with a hair dryer before applying dry ice.
- Boiling water – effective on plastic bumpers: Pour boiling water over a dented bumper to make it more malleable. Then, reach behind the bumper to pop it back into place. Reapply hot water to soften and shape the bumper until the dent is gone.
- Vacuum cleaner, bucket, and duct tape – effective on shallow dents: Drill a small hole in the bottom of a pot or bucket for a vacuum hose to fit. Then, tape the bucket to the car and tape the vacuum hose to the bucket. Turn on the vacuum, and the resulting suction should pop out the dent if it isn’t too deep.
- Rubber mallet and dolly – effective on large dents with inside access: Choose a dolly—a curved piece of metal used to shape sheet metal—based on the car’s natural curve around the dented area. Hold the dolly over the dent and hammer with the mallet from the inside. Start at the center and work your way out until the dent is removed.
- Store-bought dent removal kit – effective on various dents: If your other DIY attempts fail, consider buying a dent removal kit. Different products are available for different types and sizes of dents. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to achieve the desired outcome.
With your car dents removed, you’re ready to apply for a title loan. For the lowest interest rates and best repayment terms in Texas, turn to VIP Title Loans. We’ll get you the money you need in 30 minutes or less, with no credit check required. To learn more about applying, call us at 817-265-2274, fill out our online contact form, or visit one of our five locations in the DFW Metroplex.